- "I want to be smart."
Charlie makes this statement in the opening page of the novel.
- "And she said mabey they got no rite to make me smart because if god wantid me to be smart he would have made me born that way."
Charlie recalls this comment, made by his nurse immediately after the operation
- "'The more intelligent you become the more problems you'll have, Charlie.'"
Dr. Strauss makes this comment to Charlie as Charlie's intellect begins to blossom
- "'You're fooling yourself, Rose It's not fair to us or to him Pretending he's normal Driving him as if he were an animal that could learn to do tricks.'"
Charlie recalls this exchange between his father and mother, related to his mother's insistence that Charlie can learn as other normal children do
- "I'm like a man who's been half-asleep all his life, trying to find out what he was like before he woke up."
Charlie makes this statement as his ability to recall events earlier in his life improves.
- "How can I make him understand that he did not create me? He makes the same mistake as others when they look at a feeble-minded person and laugh because they don't understand there are human feelings involved He doesn't realize that I was a person before I came here."
Charlie offers this comment about the way Professor Nemur treats him
- "'We who have worked on this project at Beekman University have the satisfaction of knowing we have taken one of nature's mistakes and by our new techniques created a superior human being.'"
Professor Nemur delivers this remark during his presentation at the international psychology conference.
- "Even a feeble-minded man wants to be like other men."
Charlie makes this observation after seeing people taunt a young mentally challenged boy in a diner
- "'But I've learned that intelligence alone doesn't mean a damned thing.'"
Charlie offers this statement during a heated argument with Professor Nemur.
- "Why am I always looking at life through a window?"
Charlie ponders this question as his mental abilities are beginning to regress
Flowers For Algernon: Top Ten Quotes