- "The final and perfect association formed from a number of villages, is the polis...it exists for the sake of a good life."
- "...there are species in which a distinction is already marked, immediately at birth, between those of its members who are intended for being ruled and those who are intended to rule..."
- "Warlike pursuits...are not the supreme end of all things, but only means."
- "It is the peculiarity of man, in comparison with the rest of the animal world, that he alone possesses a perception of good and evil, of the just and the unjust."
- "Man, when perfected, is the best of animals; but if he is isolated from law and justice he is the worse of all."
- "...it is to those who are better at the job that the better supply of tools should be given."
- "The authority of the master and that of the statesman are different...."
- "Tyranny is the perversion of Kingship; Oligarchy of Aristocracy; and Democracy of Polity...None of the three is directed to the advantage of the whole body of citizens."
- "...any polis which is truly so called, and is not merely so in name, must devote itself to the end of encouraging goodness."
- "It is clear from our argument, first, that the best form of political society is one where power is vested in the middle class."
The Politics: Top Ten Quotes